Rainy day bookcase rehab project

IMG_4049To brighten my spirits after another inch of rain in a thunder shower last night, and standing water in my vegetable garden this morning, today I worked on rehabbing an old painted maple bookcase from Dan’s mom (thanks, Mom!)

The top shelf and plywood back had been water damaged, so the first step was to IMG_4054remove the back.  Then, Dan cut the openworked side off, to allow me to put a pine board on top of the top shelf and hide the damage.

I added some molding to disguise the new top shelf, and two strips of decorative molding down the front sides for fun.  The new top shelf was cut large enough to overhand the new molding by a scant 1/2″ on three sides, and sit flush in the back.  Once the molding was on, I added the new shelf.

IMG_4060The next step will be sanding and painting.  If the forecast is correct, we may see a trend to drier weather, more suited to painting.  Fingers are crossed!

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Rainy day bookcase rehab project”

  1. jeannie177 Says:

    The book shelves look great Dan and Ali.

  2. Erica Says:

    That looks wonderful!

Comments are closed.


%d bloggers like this: