Today I harvested 4.5 lbs of Tuscan Kale, the majority of the crop, for blanching and freezing. It was a clear day, cool this morning, thus the perfect time to pick, wash and process it in our so-called summer kitchen, aka the deck.
I trimmed it and used the trimmed weight for the harvest tally. For processing I did cut out some of the larger mid-ribs and a few more bad leaves. Washed well and blanched for 3 minutes, the 4.5 lbs yielded 9 pint zip-loc bags of kale for soup this winter.
Still to come will be the Beedy’s Camden kale, a new variety for me. I’ve got more of each started for fall/winter, and some Red Russian.