Today’s project was upgrading the hendome. The simple rebar and conduit structure served us well for years, but we wanted to make something a bit sturdier that would better able to withstand the snows.
We took a cue from the hoophouse and using a couple of 2″x4″s and some scrap lumber, we built a a 10’x8′ base frame and secured the hoops with conduit clamps. We used a pipe connector to lengthen the pipe to 12 feet, and added a handle on the ends to help move the lightweight hoophouse about. This allowed us to construct the hoophouse on the lawn near to tools. Note the grass, amazingly green for December.
We used lightweight 4 mil plastic from the local hardware store as the cover. A slightly heavier 6 mil cover would have been better, but this is what we could find. Perfect is the enemy of good as they say, so we went with the 4 mil. As with the hoopshouse, we secured the plastic to the frame with old plaster lathe (from a long ago project), and stapled to the base with the air compressor.
Once we had the cover on, we carried it to the hen yard, and set it down in a level spot, set up a perch for the girls’ afternoon naptime, and spread some mulch hay. We’ll create an wind block with stacks of hay bales in the open end, leaving a small entrance for the hens. This new hoop gives the hens about 80 square feet of covered area to roam during the winter months.
We liked the idea so much we built another small hoop to cover the lawn tractor.