Yesterday, Dan and I turned over the future blueberry bed. The blueberry bushes are currently at one end of the veggie garden, near the fence. We will move them, which will give us a change to dig out the luxuriant dandelions growing amidst the bushes, and move them further from the garden, correcting the spacing a bit, and then where the blueberries were, we plan to add a row of raspberries.
We started the bed last fall, laying down a layer of thick cardboard, and newspaper, then alternating with grass clippings, hen bedding, and chopped leaves. By yesterday, all but one section of newspaper was completely broken down, with no sod in sight.
For the summer, I’ve planted the new bed full of annuals flowers for cutting. I started lots of zinnias (my favorite) bachelors buttons, cosmos, purple top verbena, China aster and tithonia, and yesterday afternoon, planted the tiny little plants. The back two rows will be sunflowers, and the front row, nasturtiums. I have some spares just in case, but I hope all the tiny transplants will survive and thrive, and be bursting with blooms by the time I get home in August.
Today, I tackle the weedy vegetable garden.